I’m not kidding.
Today, in my high school finance math book, I learned something that changed how I view things.
No, I’m not talking about equations. 🙂 I’m talking about some real-life stuff. Information you can literally use every day.
In today’s finance math lesson, we were exploring the future. Career, life, income…
I don’t know if you’re like me but whenever I start thinking about the future I feel overwhelmed.
- How am I ever going to decide on a career?
- Will I end up on the streets if I don’t have a good income?
- What if I look like a failure to everyone?
- I can’t do anything right!
Every single one of these is a negative thought. The thing about negative thoughts is they are like thousand pound weights hanging off your shoulders. You feel awful. No matter how hard you work or what you accomplish, those negative thoughts will always make you feel like nothing…
Today, one of the clips I watched for my lesson dealt with defeating negative thoughts while approaching the future. This information can, of course, apply to all areas of life, not just the future.
Here is a quick overview.
- 1. Write the lies down. Lies hate to be exposed. Once they are on paper, they lose their power.
- 2. Use truth to combat the negativity. Don’t argue with your thoughts, instead speak truth to them.
- 3. Tell someone you trust what you’re struggling with. Don’t ever think you are alone.
- What I want to add – Take your thoughts and feelings to God. Lay them at His feet and refuse to take them up again.
I know it can sound so trite. Tell God everything, be happy. That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about using God’s truth to battle against satan’s arrows of negativity.
I’m not going to lie. Recently I’ve been struggling every morning when I wake up. Even before my feet hit the floor, I’m practically knocked over by a flood of negativity.
- You are not going to do anything well today!
- You want to do your Bible reading? What is the point? You are still going to mess up.
- Your hair is uncontrollable. It is so messy!
- That shirt makes you look awful…
- And on…
- And on…
- And on…
It can be so draining…
But there is freedom! Expose those lies. Write them down, speak the truth, fall to your knees before God and ask Him to give you the strength He promises to give you.
Matthew 8:23-27 speaks to my heart. It is not your typical “trust in the Lord verse.”
23 When He got into the boat, His disciples followed Him. 24 And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being covered with the waves; but Jesus Himself was asleep. 25 And they came to Him and woke Him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing!” 26 He said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?” Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm. 27 The men were amazed, and said, “What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?”
What is your storm?
- Negative thoughts?
- Family struggles?
- Feelings of unworthiness?
- A secret sin?
If Jesus Christ can cause a terrific storm to cease, He can certainly take hold of those thoughts and use them for His glory. You have to take the first step and give them to Him. Have faith that He can speak peace into your heart. He is a great God.
Philippians 4:6 – “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”
Have a wonderful rest of your day!